Attention: You are using an outdated browser, device or you do not have the latest version of JavaScript downloaded and so this website may not work as expected. Please download the latest software or switch device to avoid further issues.

News > ORS Clubs & Branches > OR Football Club > ORFC vs Brentwood

ORFC vs Brentwood

ORFC vs Brentwood

Squad: Fell, Lane, Kniveton, Bracegirdle, Haynes, Redfern, Pollard, O'Callaghan, Samra, Watson, Duggan L, Finch

The OR’s faced a tough battle against top of the table Brentwood in the blustery conditions Storm Dennis had brought to Kings House. With a fair few regular players absent it was always going to be a tough test, but one that the lads wouldn’t shy away from.


Adopting a 4-4-2 formation the OR’s first aim was to defend compactly and make it tough for the opposition to break through the lines. Senior statesman in Bracegirdle and Kniveton excellently marshalled away the majority of Brentwood attacks, which in turn acted as a springboard for several nice passages of play going forward. 


Duggan Jnr, Watson, O’Callaghan and Pollard created a few breakthroughs, however none clear cut enough and the game remained a stalemate. 


In tough conditions the battle in the middle of the pitch was going to be key to the outcome of the game. Redfern and Samra had their work cut out but fought hard, which they did throughout. They certainly weren’t the only ones. They were excellently complimented by the tireless work from the fullbacks Haynes and Lane. Both getting forward on several occasions (yes you read that correctly) and picking dangerous passes for the forward men.


Joe Fell, our ever present in net had a moment to remember when he somehow managed to pull off a save Gordon Banks would have been proud of. With all his momentum going one way the ball seemed to loop the opposite way back over his head and into the net, only for ‘Joe’ to somehow manage to get a palm to it. Think ‘Neo from The Matrix’, but better. 


0-0 at half time and more of the same was required. With the weather now really turning, there was only ever going to be a goal in it either way. Duggan has a penalty turned away that on another day could have easily been given, and a few pinballs in the box sadly never dropped to a fellow OR. 


With 10 minutes to go the opposition managed to nick one from a set piece after shoddy marking in the box. With the OR’s chasing the game, it came as no surprise to concede again and the game finished 0-2.


A lot of positives to come from matching the best team in the league for so long, and on another day we could have even nicked something ourselves. 

With 4 league games remaining and the prospect of two cup finals there is plenty to be looking forward too! 


We have a week off now, before Marlborough on the 29th! We go again! 


Up the ORs!

ORFC Committee

Similar stories

Most read

Have your say

This website is powered by