Attention: You are using an outdated browser, device or you do not have the latest version of JavaScript downloaded and so this website may not work as expected. Please download the latest software or switch device to avoid further issues.

News > ORS Clubs & Branches > ORFC vs Old Carthusians

ORFC vs Old Carthusians

The OR’s knew they needed to produce a special performance to defeat Old Carthusians in the semi final replay. The first semi final was a defensive masterclass from the OR’s but they had to be more attack minded this time to overcome a team looking to make it four Arthur Dunn Cups on the bounce!
The previous fixtures between the two sides have been wars of attrition, won late on; a quarter final and quarter final replay in 2012, the final in 2017 and the semi final in 2020.
With this in mind, the aim was to keep things tight for the first half and look to throw on some impact players in the second half to look to win it. Whilst the opposition have been incredibly dominant over the years, they are not the fittest or youngest squad on the circuit.
It was the OR’s who had the first big opportunity in the game when a lovely flowing move down the right involving Fraser Lane and the impressive Tom Buffin ended with Ed Jackson taking the ball round the keeper. He was forced too wide to take a shot and the OC defenders were able to block the eventual shot.
The deadlock was broken halfway through the first half when the OR’s were caught ball watching at the back and the OC’s centre forward was played through, coolly dispatched past Oli West. Falling behind early in the game wasn’t part of the plan and as the OR’s looked to level before the break – Buffin hitting a sweet shot straight at the keeper and Al Evans putting just over the bar from distance – they were caught once again. The OC centre forward was once again found alone in the box and able to poke home making it 2-0 at HT.
The OR’s made changes quickly after half time bringing on Jack O’Callaghan and Doug Redfern, both capable of scoring goals from nothing. The OR’s dominated the first 20minutes after the break but as much as they huffed and puffed, they could not get the ball into the OC’s net.
The OC’s regained control of the game for the final 15 minutes, keeping the ball well to frustrate the OR’s. As the OR’s threw men forward, they were left exposed at the back and the OC centre forward completed his hat-trick and booked his side’s place in their sixth final in seven years where they will face Old Bradfieldians.
Whilst a 3-0 score-line does not read great, the OR’s put up a good fight against a very talented squad. The gamble to save certain players for later in the game and look to win it late on was a risk that didn’t pay off.
We have a chance to put things right very soon, with the 2020/21 Arthur Dunn Cup competition starting on 17thOctober with a home fixture against Old Marlburians.
Squad: Oli West, Ben Mann Jack Bull, Alex Urwin, Tommy Speed, Alex Evans, Jamie Slack, Fraser Lane, James Parton, Ed Jackson, Tom Buffin, Jack O’Callaghan, Doug Redfern, Jack Bywater, Mike Watson, Josh Golding.
Up the ORs!
ORFC Committee

Similar stories

Most read

Have your say

This website is powered by